What are the requirements to teach English in China?
There’s a lot of misinformation online on this topic. This page aims to show the standards by which potential ESL teachers are able to qualify for a work visa to teach English in China.
– A valid passport that will not expire within the next 6 months.
– Be between the ages of 22 and 55.
– Citizenship (i.e. a passport) from an English-speaking country. To China, that means:
- The USA,
- The UK,
- New Zealand
- South Africa
– No criminal record (you’ve passed a criminal record check).
– Having passed a medical check.
– A Bachelor’s degree (in any field).
– A TEFL Certificate.
– Prior work experience teaching (could include anything from tutoring to babysitting – the spectrum is pretty broad).
– A Teaching Degree (meaning you’ve graduated from teacher’s college).